AYEG implemented the project with financial support of “Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)- Local governance program South Caucasus”. The aim of the project was to strengthen citizens’ participation in municipal budgeting process and to increase accountability. More specifically the project objectives were:
- To develop and disseminate the brochure on the municipal budgetary process and citizens’ participation;
- To develop special guideline for the target municipalities on how to increase public participation in elaboration and implementation of specific program. Thereby ensuring accountability and transparency, based on the best interests of local population;
- To conduct the workshops in the target municipalities for the selected programs, aimed at making programs more citizen oriented and including their active participation.
- To advocate the future usage of the guideline to the Ministry of Finances;
- To support the local citizens in target municipalities to actively participate in program development process.
Project beneficiaries: The project was piloted in 6 municipalities of Georgia: Telavi, Sagarejo, Gori, Khashuri, Borjomi and Akhaltsikhe.